History

The need for a ‘school of art’ in Burslem arose from a prosperous 19th Century manufacturing town in need of a skilled workforce. The vast majority of pottery decoration was applied by hand and local entrepreneurs quickly recognised the shortage of skilled decorators.

The first school was established at the Legs of Man public house in Market Place in 1858 but sat uncomfortably in a room above a rough workingmen’s pub, the majority of the students being young women.

On the completion of the Wedgwood Institute in 1869, the school found its first permanent home alongside science tuition and the country’s second free library. The classes were very popular and led to the building being extended several times during the remaining years of the century. By the beginning of the 20th Century the school was again in need of more space and the Institute’s plot could not accommodate further expansion.

Fortunately, support can from Thomas Hulme, a respected politician and manufacturer, who gave the land opposite the institute as a site for a dedicated ‘School of Art’. This prestigious project was assigned to Absalom Reade Wood, a respected local architect responsible for many municipal buildings of the period. The contributions of both these men are acknowledged on the façade of the building. Construction commenced in 1905 and was completed in 1907.

Burslem School of Art was successful and well respected in the early part of the last century, establishing talents and reputations of several ceramic designers, such as Charlotte Rhead and Suzie Cooper, and painters such as Arthur Berry, under the tutorage of renowned headmasters of the calibre of Gordon Forsyth.

Political changes following the Second World War started the Schools decline with the bringing together of education under the Local Education Authority. The School was eventually annexed to North Staffordshire Polytechnic and then to Stoke-on-Trent College. A further blow came when, in the 1990s, educational buildings were transferred out of LEA ownership.

Faced with the acquisition of numerous properties on several sites, Stoke-on-Trent College carried out condition surveys of all its buildings to establish what works needed to be carried out and whether buildings could be brought up to an acceptable condition within their resources. Unfortunately, the refurbishment required to bring the School of Art in line with the access and fire escape regulations was beyond the College’s budget. The College was forced to close and attempt to dispose of the building.

In 1994, the Burslem Community Development Trust established the building as an early priority project to support the development of arts, culture and community enterprise in the town. The vision also incorporated the Wedgwood Institute so that the two buildings would become one ‘cultural enterprise centre’. The College and Trust brought the project to the attention of those administering newly available regeneration funding through SRB1 (Single Regeneration Budget). Despite an initial feasibility study which secured the necessary funds, negotiations over the sale of the building were unable to go further and the project collapsed.

In 1997 a further funding opportunity brought together a public, private and voluntary sector partnership which incorporated Stoke-on-Trent College, Burslem Trust, Stoke-on-Trent City Council, Staffordshire University and Royal Doulton, and established the Burslem School of Art Trust to manage the project and the renovated building. The scheme was successful in securing funds from SRB, Europe through ERDF (European Regional Development Fund), Advantage West Midlands and Heritage Lottery Fund (through the Townscape Heritage Initiative). Stoke-on-Trent City Council contributed by purchasing the building and managing the capital programme.

Restoration and refurbishment of the building was carried out during 2000 and included a new circulation tower to the rear of the building, incorporating a lift and stairs to all floors and new toilets and plant room, new fire escapes, kitchen extension and new openings in the façade. The building re-opened in November 2000, managed under contract by Burslem Community Development Trust and with Stoke-on-Trent College as an anchor tenant occupying the first and second floors. Burslem School of Art Trust leases the building from Stoke-on-Trent Council on a peppercorn basis.